Friday, February 15, 2013

Beating hearts, like two drums in the gray.

This is dangerous.
Thinking, I mean.
About you.
Thinking about you like you're the only one.
Like I maybe love you.
Like there's no way that I don't.
It's dangerous because I'm young. I'm young and I'm stupid and I couldn't possibly love you this much.
Could I?
And let's not mention the other one. The one that I'm constantly trying to forget.
I don't want to think of him. Get out of here. Out of my head.
I only want you. Just you. That's what I want to believe. But my heart lies.
And my brain thinks.
Thinks.
                              Thinks.
Thinks.

I think about you like Reckless thinks about Forbidden.
Like Lust thinks about Desire.
Like Love thinks....
"I want you."

Oh no. No, no, no. I'm so young.
I can't want you this much.
I can't.
Can't.
                             Can't.
Can't.

I say that. I think that.
Think about that like cuts think about scabs.
Like my scabs think of bleeding every time I pick at them.
Like I think, "Gross."
But the thoughts creep in. Of you. And him.
If you please, would you leave? If you wouldn't mind, could you remove yourself?
My heart can't take this.
Is it possible to be consumed by one person?
And think of them constantly?
Like Life thinks about dying.
Like Death thinks about living.

Lately it hurts to say, "I love you."
Why does it hurt, when I know it's true?
I know I love you.
Real love you.
You've made me cry. You've made me laugh.
There's no way I don't love you, not with all that.
Maybe I just miss him too much.
I can't do that to you, no, never again. You'd be too broken. You'd be too lost.

I've already broken you once.

Besides, who would want me after that? After they know what I've done? What I'm doing?
I'm a hopeless wreck.
A burnt up car on the side of the road flipped over with the guts spilling out.
And no one is dialing 9-1-1.

You say I've changed you.
You've no idea how much you've changed me.
I'm dependent on you.
"How do you always know just what to say?" I ask.
"You might fall apart if I didn't," you say.
My soul aches with the truth of that.

I'm frightened of you.
Of being with you.
Of being yours.

How can I give myself completely over to someone when I've barely started figuring out who I am?

I'm a burnt up car on the side of the road, flipped over with the guts spilling out and no survivors.

"Don't bother calling 9-1-1. Everyone's already dead."

Run away before I think of you and you die, too.


7 comments:

  1. i don't know why no one has commented on this.. its amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a burnt up car on the side of the road, flipped over with the guts spilling out and no survivors.

    "Don't bother calling 9-1-1. Everyone's already dead."

    This is my favorite post/blog so far. Wow. So awesome. I love the way you formatted some of the paragraphs. This, is poetry at it's finest. art.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first four lines hit me hard. I feel that exactly, but could never figure out how to put into words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an amazing feeling about this one. A job well done. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A burnt up car on the side of the road flipped over with the guts spilling out.
    And no one is dialing 9-1-1."

    Stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "This is dangerous. Thinking, I mean. About you." Stealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is incredible.

    "And no one is dialing 9-1-1." My favorite part.

    ReplyDelete