Thursday, February 21, 2013

I hope it's not just a bad dream.

fear (noun)
1 an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger
2 anxious concern
3 profound reverence and awe, especially toward God
4 reason for alarm

"And they feared God, for he was great."
Please excuse me for my irreverence, but I just can't be afraid.

Don't think me egotistical for having nothing to be scared of.

I know I should be frightened of the dark.
For the things it's done to me.
For the things it's done to others.
But do forgive me if I only find it peaceful.

I know I should be frightened of death.
For the way he takes away.
For the way he never gives back.
But do forgive me if I've already met him once.

I know I should be frightened of being without.
For the idea of "never having".
For the idea of "forever empty".
But do forgive me if I'm used to being hollow.

I know I should be frightened of what used to haunt me.
From all the memories in my brain.
From all the ways I'm damaged.
But do forgive me.

Because I just can't remember why they scared me to begin with.

I'm afraid 
of all the things
 I can't ever remember to be afraid of.



6 comments:

  1. stolen. "But do forgive me if I only find it peaceful."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Please excuse me for my irreverence, but I just can't be afraid."
    -stolen.
    -i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But do forgive me if..." Stole that. Also, "I'm afraid of all the things I can't ever remember to be afraid of."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please excuse me for my irreverence, but I just can't be afraid

    absolutely love this line and i am stealing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you've forgotten everything you're afraid of?

    I just went confused (I meant to type cross-eyed, but I messed up...that's what your writing does to me).

    ReplyDelete