Monday, May 06, 2013

Staring wide-eyed at the destruction we've left.

Don't tell someone about someday, because somedays are painful.

Somedays are what get people killed. Someday I'll be happy. What if someday never comes? Somedays are unreliable, because you'll never know when they'll back out. Somedays always have their fingers crossed behind their back, even when they promise that they don't.

Don't believe in somedays, because they're liars.

You want to rely on somedays? I hope for your sake, you aren't suicidal. I hope for the sake of your somedays, you don't have a plan.

Someday I'll be pretty. 
Someday I'll be smart.
Someday it'll get better.

I hate somedays.

You wanna know how to save someone's life? Really?
Don't talk about somedays.

Talk about nowdays. Ask how they are, and listen. Not just vaguely smile and wait for the scripted reply. Really listen. You want to know how they are? Do you really? They don't believe that you actually do. Every "How are you" is a death sentence weighing down on their emotions. Every fake smile is a slap to their nighttime fears.

Somedays are what they cling to, because no one seems to care what their nowdays are really about.

He talks about somedays and it hurts me, because I know he just keeps hoping for it to get better. He keeps waiting, waiting, waiting.
"Someday when I get back on my meds" 
"Someday when I have more money"
"Someday when you love me back"
And he always finishes it with, "I'll be happier."

I hate those somedays.

I don't talk about his somedays. I don't tell him he's right. I don't tell him how to make those somedays happen. I ask him about his nowdays, I tell him about my nowdays, I tell him about my pastdays. And it makes him smile.

He is happy without those somedays.

You wanna know how to save someone's life?

Don't ever tell them, "Someday you might be able to handle it."


1 comment: